Friday, 18 May 2012

Sliders and Chips for dinner

The sliders I made for my husband and mini sliders and chips for my son
My Husband has been wanting to eat sliders ever since we saw "Harrold and Kumar go to White Castle", which was roughly 6 years ago. We had rented the movie with no expectations and it became one of our favourites. My poor Hubby has been sick for the last week and yesterday he told me:"I'm feel like eating a burger, actually I really want a burger with chips and a chocolate milk shake". And I knew he meant business and if I didn't do anything about we would end up having take away food with its excessive salt, fat and cost.
I jumped off the sofa and declared: "There is no chance we will ever go to White Castle, so let's bring White Castle to us. I will make you the sliders you have been wanting for so long." Of course, this was a challenge. You generally cannot rival with the idea someone has made of something they have been craving for 6 years. But I was up to it.
I found a recipe of brioche buns on the following link and though that was the closest I would get to the ever- so wanted sliders. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/01/dining/011brex.html?_r=1.

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons warm milk
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs
3 cups bread flour
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened.

Note: There is a waiting time of about 4 hours as they are 2 rises for those buns, however even with the cooler temperatures outside mine only took 30 to 45 minutes each because I had the oven on as well.

1. In a glass measuring cup, combine 1 cup warm water, the milk, yeast and sugar. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, beat 1 egg.

2. In a large bowl, whisk flours with salt. Add butter and rub into flour between your fingers, making crumbs. Using a dough scraper, stir in yeast mixture and beaten egg until a dough forms. Scrape dough onto clean, unfloured counter and knead, scooping dough up, slapping it on counter and turning it, until smooth and elastic, 8 to 10 minutes.

3. Shape dough into a ball and return it to bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, 1 to 2 hours.

4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using dough scraper, divide dough into 8 equal parts. I cut the dough into 4 and rolled into logs. I then cut the logs with the dough scraper in 12 balls. I still had some dough left to make the mini sliders. Gently roll each into a ball and arrange 2 to 3 inches apart on baking sheet (in a brownie dish if you want them small enough for sliders otherwise just on a baking sheet for normal burger buns). . Cover loosely with a clean kitchen towel and let buns rise in a warm place for 1 to 2 hours.

5. Set a large shallow pan of water on oven floor, I skipped this step since I baked them in my little convection oven and they turned out great. Preheat oven to 400 degrees (about 200 Degree C) with rack in center. Beat remaining egg with 1 tablespoon water and brush some on top of buns. Bake, turning sheet halfway through baking, until tops are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.

This recipe made 12 sliders and about twice that in mini sliders

Mini sliders and chips for my little one
Apologies about the Bold below, my computer refused to format it.... Arggggg!
While the dough was rising for the second time, I prepared the meat. It was a very simple patty. I had some rump steak that I threw in the food processor with an onion cut in quarters, 3 cloves of garlic and a Tbsp of Barbeque sauce. I processed the lot and made them into patties. Generally I would leave them in the fridge for about 30 minutes to set but this time there was just no time. They tasted great still even withouth the rest time.
I pan fried them and slapped a slice of cheese over, back in the oven for 5 minutes just to melt the cheese a little and keep it in place on top of the patty.
I served it with homemade chips, and chocolate milkshake for the boys (made with my homemade chocolate bar) and a coconut, chai and vanilla milkshake for me.
I hope you enjoy those as much as my boys did.
Happy Baking everyone :)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment