Tuesday, 15 May 2012

Easy slow cooked pork chop chilli



On Monday I thought it would be a good idea to have pork for dinner. We bought those huge pork chops at our local butcher on the week end and one was enough for us 3.
But 3 pm came and I still had no idea what to do with that humengous defrosted pork chop starring at me from the bottom shelf of the fridge. Then, an epiphany! "Tonight we shall have chilli", I declared.
WARNING: this recipe takes a couple of hours.
So on with it.
Ingredients:
1/2 a brown onion, finely diced
2 cloves of garlic, smashed
1 Tbsp of oil (I used canola)
1 tin of tomatoes in their juice
2 cups of chicken broth
1 tsp of paprika
1/4 tsp of ginger
1/4 tsp of coriander
About 250g of pork
2 tins of beans (I used red kidney)
1Tbsp of brown sugar
Heat the oil in a oven proof dish (that has a lid or can be covered with aluminum paper) and fry the onions until translucent. Add the garlic and spices and cook until fragrant. Add the tomatoes, cook until bubbling and then add the broth.
Preheat your oven to 150° C.
Add the pork. (I actually put the whole chop in and because it cooked at low temperature for 2 hours, the meat fell off the bone.)
Place in the oven and leave it alone.
An hour to 45 minutes before serving, add your beans and about 1 Tbsp of brown sugar ( this helps balance the acidity of the tomatoes), stir and place it back in the oven for another hour approximately. Check on it regularly to make sure this is not catching at the bottom of the pan.
Serve with avocado, sour cream if you have some (I actually used cream cheese for the boys) and crusty bread.
Tip: I made up this recipe with what we had in the fridge and pantry. Those are pretty much essentials we always have around. I try my best to not go grocery shopping too often to save us some money. The only items I would tend to get regularly (not on grocery shopping day) are fresh fruits and veggies, bread and milk.
I trend to make up recipes with what I have rather than the other way around.
Happy cooking everyone:) and don't forget to join The Baking Frog on Facebook. Just click on the Like button at the top of the right column.

No comments:

Post a Comment