Sunday, 10 June 2012

New Gluten Free burger buns



I had a very bad run with making Gluten Free breads lately. Some were too crumbly and inedible by the time they had spent a night out, and others looked and sounded cooked but as soon as I took them out of the oven and the dish they would collapse and completely gooey inside. I had almost given up.
I went to get some more Gluten Free flours to try it a few more times. After all even despite the failures, it was still cheaper to make my own bread (even if I could only eat one to two pieces).
I told the owner about my misfortune and he gave me an excellent tip: use a mix of flour and less or no starch plus add 1 teaspoon (to start with) of psyllium husk. The psyllium husk, he told me, will make a more spongy bread so it won't dry and crumble.

Yesterday I decided to face my fear of failing again and made up my own flour mix and bread. Eureka! Success at last, although it is a little crumbly today it still tastes very nice and can be cut without leaving big chunks of dry bread behind. Next time (which is likely to be tonight), I will try with 2 tsps of psyllium husk (I will post the results asap).

So here it is:

Flour mix 1 (I am thinking of trying out some different ones later)
1 cup of sorghum flour
1 cup of oats flour
1/2 cup of millet flour
1/2 cup of rice flour
2 tsps of xanthan gum
1 tsp of psyllium husk
1/4 tsp of salt

Wet mix:
2 eggs
1 Tbsp of agave syrup (or white sugar)
3 Tbsp of olive oil
1 tsp of vinegar

For the yeast starter:
1 1/3 cup of warm water
2 tsps of yeast
1 tsp of agave syrup (or white sugar)

Mix the agave syrup with the warm water. Add and mix the yeast. Set aside until frothy.

Whisk all the flours together with the xanthan gum, psyllium husk and salt.

In a stand up mix bowl, beat the wet ingredients. Once all mixed well, add the yeast starter. Stop the mixer and dump all the flour mixture in the wet. Mix again for about 5 minutes.

Note: if you want to make little burger buns like the ones I made you will need to use a grease muffin pan.

Pour the mixture into a grease pan and leave to rise in a warm, draught- free environment. I put my mixture in the oven preheat at 50 Degree C. Let is rise until it has doubled in size.

Bake at 200 Degrees C for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.  To make sure it is cooked knock on top of the bread, it should sound hallow.

Take it out of the oven and leave to cool a little. As soon as you can handle the bread, take them out of the pan, otherwise the crust will go soggy.

As usual in 24 hours I have eaten the whole loaf I had made and the burger buns, so it's back to the kitchen this afternoon to make some more.

Happy Baking everyone :)





No comments:

Post a Comment