Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Toblerone crinkles

I saw those cookies on many baking websites and I always wanted to try them. For some reason I thought they were very difficult to make so I kept putting it off. The most difficult thing is in fact the wait. Those aren't really biscuits you can make in a dash when an unexpected guest is at your door. They need to rest in the fridge to be able to roll them into balls before baking them. But I get ahead of myself, here is the recipe from one of my favourite baking site: Joy of baking. There is even a video: http://www.joyofbaking.com/ChocolateCrinkles.html.

The only difference is that I used the massive Toblerone my sister- in law had given me. It also added texture to the cookies because of the pieces of nuts in the bar.

Ingredients:
- 4 Tbsp of unsalted butter
- 230g of Toblerone
- 1/2 cup of granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs (I used size 7)
- 2 tsp of pure vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup of all- purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/2 of baking powder

Topping:
- 1 cup of icing sugar


In a heatproof bowl, place over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the chocolate and butter. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.


In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs and sugar until thick, pale and fluffy (about 3 to 5 minutes). Then beat in the vanilla extract. Add the cooled chocolate mixture and beat until incorporated. 


In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients to the chocolate mixture stirring just until incorporated. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm enough to shape into balls (I left mine overnight).

When ready, preheat the oven to 325 F or 165 C and place the rack in the centre of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Place the icing sugar in a shallow bowl. Roll the chilled dough into 2.5cm balls and roll each ball in the sugar. Make sure each ball is completely coated, with no chocolate showing through. Place the sugar covered balls on the prepared baking sheet, spacing about 5 cm apart.

Bake cookies for about 8 to 10 minutes or just until the edges are slightly firm but the centres are still soft.



And the result is:






The ones on the last pic are tiny ones I have made for my son. Needless to say they were enjoyed by many, including my niece and nephew. 



Happy Baking everyone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment