Friday, 1 June 2012

Oatmeal brownies (Gluten and Dairy Free)

Well the story started last night with pudding for my son. He loves pudding so much that my Husband and him have a song for it, and when that song starts they both mean business.
My Husband made last night's pudding and mixed some oats, dried apricots, peanut butter and chocolate. My son LOVED it!!!
In fact he loved it so much that I made the same for Breakfast but I thought I could take this little bowl of yummy porridge to something more decadent (at least in taste but not in calories).  This is sure to satisfy any chocolate cravings without having to worry about the scale the next day.Without further a do, here is the recipe:

Ingredients: (makes about 12 brownies)
- 1 cup of porridge
- 1 cup of boiling water
- 3 Tbsp of cocoa powder
- 2 tsp of coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp of peanut butter
- 5 dried apricots (optional)
- 1 Tbsp of agave sugar (or honey or maple syrup)
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 Tbsp of milk (I used Almond Milk)

For this recipe I processed the porridge into a flour but it should work without this step.

Pre- heat the oven to 200 Degree C.

In a bowl mix porridge and cocoa powder. Add the boiling water and let the mixture absorb it.
Mix the coconut oil with the peanut butter to losen it. Mix all the ingredients to the oats mixture.

If the mixture seems to "dry" or hard to work with, add more milk. It should be a smooth batter, kind of ike a cake batter.

Pour the mixture in either a cake pan (buttered or oiled) or muffin pan (butterer or oiled unless using a silicone one as I did).

Bake until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean (mine took about 30 minutes but I realised 15 minutes in that my little kitchen hand changed the oven temp to 150 Degree C).

Take them out of the oven and leave them to cool a little before taking them out.

You can serve them just as is or you can add a topping. I made mine Rocky Road.



Rocky Road Topping:
- 1 tsp of coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp of cocoa powder
- Some agave sugar to taste
- 1 Tbsp of milk (I used Almond milk)
- Mini Marshmallows
- Peanuts cut into pieces

Melt the coconut oil in the microwave (add the milk if you are just taking it out of the fridge).

Mix it the cocoa powder. Add teh agave sugar to taste (I think I only put about 2 tsp).

Mix the marshmallows and peanuts and "dump" the frosting over the brownies.

I added some white chocolate drops on the boys' simply because they love it. My little munchkin LOVED it almost as much as the pudding his Daddy made him the night before :)

Happy Baking everyone :)



No comments:

Post a Comment