Saturday, 14 May 2011

My cupcake disaster

The Association "Marie pour la vie" has recently created a Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Association-Marie-pour-la-Vie/128068007270506 to raise funds to allow little Marie 4 years old to get an operation that could save her life.
I wanted to do my bit and organised a cupcake sale. I wanted to do something fancy. I secretly also always wanted to make the cupcakes in cone. As it happened I found a new cupcake book at the Hard to Find bookstore in Onehunga and there was a recipe in it. Now I'm not sure how Elinor Klivans (the author) did hers but mine turned out to be a nightmare and nothing like they are on the picture. The wmost bizarre thing is that, for oncec, I followed the recipe to the letter, and... well I'll let you judge the result:


Here is the recipe in case someone else wants to try. If you do and your work please tell me where I went wrong. I have another recipe from Tamara Jane that I will try next time. But for tonight I need to concentrate on making my cupcakes for the sale on Tuesday and it's already 10pm.

Chocolate- covered brownie ice cream cone cupcakes
Cupcakes:
12 flat- bottomed ice cream cones
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup unbleached all- purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups of sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Coating:
1 1/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips or chopped semisweet chocolate
2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil

Makes the cupcakes:
Preheat the oven to 160 Degree C. Cut out squares of aluminum and press them into a regular 12 muffin tin, letting the edges of the foil overhang the edges. Place the cone in each cup, wrapping the foil around the cone to hold it sturdily in place. If they jiggles the batter will go everywhere.

Put the butter and unsweetened chocolate in a heatproof bowl and place it over a saucepan of barely simmering water. Stir until the butter and the chocolate are melted and smooth. Remove from the water and set aside to cool slightly.

In a small bowl, stir the flour, baking powder and the salt, set aside.

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the eggs and sugar until thickened and lightened in color, about 1 minute. Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl as needed during mixing. Mix the vanilla. On low speed, mix in the chocolate mixture. Mix in the flour mixture until it is incorporated and the batter looks smooth. Mix in the chocolate chips.

Using a small spoon, fill each ice cream cone with about 1/4 cup batter, to just below the top of the cone. Carefully put the cupcakes in the oven making sure they are still standing upright. Bake just until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs, but not wet batter, about 28 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the chocolate coating. Put the chocolate and oil in a heatproof bowl and place it over, but not touching, a saucepan of barely simmering water. Stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Scrape the chocolate coating into a small bowl.

Dip the top of each cupcakes cone in the chocolate coating, letting any excess drip off, and replace the cones int he muffin tin.

Let the cupcakes sit until the coating is firm, about 2 hours, or less if the kitchen is cool.

A couple of tips here:
I didn't have any unsweetened chocolate (I'm not even sure I can find some around here) so I only put 3/4 cup of sugar and added unsweetened cocoa powder.
I also used some self raising flour so I only pour enough batter to fill half the cone, even so in some of them the batter still went over the top of the cone.
When you fill in the cones, make sure you don't spill any batter outside of them otherwise it'll burn and the cupcakes will actually taste burnt themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment