Sunday, 1 May 2011

Healthy oat slice

Winter is at our door step and I have found myself eating way too much again. So I wanted to make a healthy snack so when I get busy during the day, I reach for something nutrition instead of the jar of Nutella.
Looking through the Internet I have found this recipe: http://www.taste.com.au/kitchen/recipes/super+healthy+slice,12123.


As it happens, I only had 2 bananas and they were in really bad shape. So I had to improvise. Looking through the pantry I found one tin of diced apples and one tin of apricots in juice. Bingo!
So I used the following ingredients:
- 1/2 tin of diced apples
- 1/2 tin of apricots in juice
- 5 Tablespoons of natural unsweetened yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 and 1/2 cup of oats
- 1 cup of wholemeal flour
- 1/2 cup of almonds and Brazil nuts
- 1/2 cup of dried cranberries, dried strawberries and dried apples.

1- Process the apples and apricots into a purée.
2- Mix all wet ingredients (purée, yogurt, eggs and honey).
3- Mix all the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients.
4- Spray a 20 cm square dish with cooking spray.
5- Pour the mixture in the prepare dish.
6- Bake at 180 degree C for about 30 minutes.

This is not a crispy slice but I guess you could melt some chocolate and drizzle it over, or even cover it with a thin layer of melted sugar mixed or not with other pieces of nuts. I didn't want to add anything because I want it to be healthy. There is no fat, and the sweetness is mainly coming from the fruit... A little bit from the honey but that's supposed to be good for you, isn't it?
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment