Friday, 11 November 2011

Potato crust quiche



While browsing the Net for ideas, I came across this blog: www.fortheloveofcooking.blogspot.com. There are some amazing recipes there. I hadn't defrosted anything for dinner tonight but I had fresh asparagus (they are delicious at the moment) and all the other ingredients for a nice quiche. At the same time, my son is going through a phase where he would only eat cheese and English muffins. I needed to get him to eat something else. So here is my version of Pam's potato crust quiche.

5 new potatoes (the ones I had were quite small) sliced thinly (I used my mandolin)
Homemade caramelized onions
1 fresh tomato
About 10 asparagus
1 ham steak (diced)
3 eggs
1 cup of milk ( I used Soy Milk)
1 cup of grated cheese (whatever you have in the fridge)
1 handful of Parmesan

Preheat the oven to about 200 Degree C. Spray of pan with oil and arrange the potato slices to cover the bottom and sides of the pan. Make sure they overlap.Bake for about 10 minutes. Take them out and set them aside.

Layer the onions, asparagus and ham. Mix the eggs and milk in a bowl and pour over the filling.

Mix the 2 cheeses (this way you will be sure to have an equal amount spread over the quiche). Scatter over the quiche.

Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes. Leave to cool.

Notes: I have made mine in my pie dish so you can't see the potato crust on the photos. Next time I will make it a Pirex dish and upload the pics.
We ate it warm and because there was fresh tomato in it, the filling was a bit watery. If you can wait until it cools down or even the next day it tastes absolutely perfect. We just had it for lunch and the flavours had infused very well.
We had ours with a salad of rocket, red capsicum and pine nuts and steamed asparagus. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment