Friday, 17 February 2012

I'm not one to brag BUT this gingerbread cake is delicious

Ok, so it's doesn't look like much but trust me it ticks all the boxes (at least all of mine). It is very, very moist, not too sweet, tasty and good for you...

I wanted to make a gingerbread cake simply because I LOVE the smell of gingerbread cake baking. It gives the whole house a holiday smell. So I got inspired by this recipe: http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/food/cookbooks/833427/divine-ginger-cake-with-caramel-icing.
When I said I got inspired by this recipe, it's because I gave myself a challenge: make this cake gluten and dairy free so I could finally have some cake!!!

Don't ask me why I made the changes I made, I have no idea, I just felt this was meant to be so here is my version of it:

Ingredients:
¾ cup (165g) cane sugar
1/2 cup of rice flour
1/2 cup of buckwheat flour
1/4 cup of brown rice flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
125g of coconut oil
2 eggs, separated
2/3 cup (160ml) sour milk (2/3 cup of soy milk with a teaspoon of white vinegar)
1 orange (zest and juice)
2 pieces of crystallised ginger

Spray a 9'in round pan with cooking spray and pre- heat the oven to 170 Degree C.

In a medium sized bowl, mix together all the dried ingredients.

Beat the egg whites until they reach stiff peaks.

Mix together all the wet ingredients (except the egg whites) in a jug.

Mix the wet ingredients with the dried and add the orange zest and the crystallised ginger cut into small pieces.

Carefully fold in the egg whites.

Pour in the prepared tin. 

Place in the medium rack of the oven and bake for about 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. 

Leave it to cool in the pan until you can turn it over a wire rack. Cover with a tea towel and leave it to completely cool. 

Notes: 
- I have not iced it because all the icings I could think of have dairy in them, however a nice dark chocolate icing might go well with the heat of the ginger.
- It also can make a very nice tea cake. Bake it in a loaf tin and serve it for tea with maybe a little butter and a nice warm cup of tea.
- Despite the generous amount of coconut oil, the cake does not taste of coconut. The orange and spices are the pre- dominant tastes. 
- Finally I have found this cake to be so tasty, I had to pieces. Even my husband could not believe it. to be honest, I could have had the whole thing for dinner...

Hope you enjoy making this cake and especially eating it.

Happy Baking everyone :)



No comments:

Post a Comment