Monday, 21 November 2011

Jerk Chicken



Since I have started posting savoury recipes I have been really exciteda bout trying new flavours. One thing I have always heard of but never tasted was Jerk Chicken and I happened to have some chicken on hand for Thursday night dinner.
I made the marinade the night before and let the chicken "sleep" in it overnight.
I have found the recipe on this website: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/jerk_chicken/ and made a few changes. First change I made, I divided the recipe by 2 since I only had 3 thighs.

  • 1/2 cup malt vinegar (or white vinegar)
  • 2 Tbsp dark rum , I used Vanilla Exctract
  • 2 Scotch bonnet peppers (or habaneros), with seeds, chopped, I used a whole red pepper
  • 1 red onion, chopped
  • 4 green onion tops, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp dried thyme or 2 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 teaspoons ground allspice
  • 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
  • 4 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 2 teaspoons molasses, I only had Treacle at home and it seemed to have worked with it.
  • 1 (5 or 6 pound) roasting chicken, cut in half, lengthwise
  • 1/2 cup lime juice,
  • Salt and pepper
Place all the marinade ingredients in a food processor and pulse to a smooth paste.

Place the chicken in a freezer bag and cover with the marinade. Close it and shake it a little to make sure the marinade coats all the chicken. Leave in the bottom of the fridge overnight.

The King of the BBQ was once again on the job and made a great job of it. It tasted smokey and sweet. It was just delicious. Definitely a recipe that will be made and re- made this Summer.
I made this one with a mixed veggies and cashew nuts rice and grilled asparagus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment