Tuesday, 15 November 2011

Italian inspired dinner

Tonight we had Italian sausages for dinner. The weather was beautiful so my husband, who happens to be great at BBQ, decided to grill them on our charcoal BBQ... and did he do a great job!!!
I was in charge of the accompaniments: smashed potatoes with dried tomatoes and toasted pine nuts salad.



It was a pretty simple dinner but since I have decided to post more often I will be posting the simple, affordable food we regularly have at home. The other thing that motivated me to post this particular dinner was that for once in quite a long time, my little darling boy ate with not one word of protest and did not spill a bit of his food. So I guess that must have been good.

To make the smashed potatoes:
Preheat the oven to 200 DegreeC. Line a sheet pan with baking paper and lightly spray with oil.
Boil some water with salt or stock (none for us). Once it is boiling, add the potatoes (whole). Once fully cooked through (pierce it with a fork and when lifted up the potato should slide down the fork). Drain them and place them on your prepared sheet pan. Spray with a little more oil, sprinkle with herbs and salt (if using). Bake them in the oven until golden brown. They will be crunchy on the outside and mashed potato like on the inside.
I also made some caramelised onions just by pan frying one brown onion with a teaspoon of brown sugar and a splash of white vinegar. I added a little water to make sure they would reduce enough.
The sauce for the potatoes was just plain low fat yoghurt with green onions picked from my garden and a little sprinkle of salt (I knew my son didn't like that yoghurt so we indulged in a little salt).

I am sorry I cannot give the secret of delicious BBQd sausages as I do not know it myself and the expert is probably not ready to share it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment