Wednesday, 5 October 2011

The dreaded Chocolate Macaroons



I made macaroons about 4 times before. The first time was for my Baby Shower (in May 2010). I didn't know that the whole thing could so easily go wrong when I first made them so obviously they turned out perfect! And when I was fooled into a sense of false security I tried again and they turn out awful. They either didn't cook properly or I couldn't take them off the baking paper.
One thing that people who know me well would definitely agree with is that I don't give up easily and sooner or later I will succeed!!! Some might even say that I am stubborn (wonder where they would get that from???)
SO I made another attempt and "Victory"...

I got the recipe (for every attempts) from "The Australian Women's Weekly, Macaroons and Biscuits":
Ingredients for the Macaroons:
3 egg whites
1/4 cup of caster sugar
1 cup of icing sugar
1/4 cup of cocoa powder
 1 cup of ground almonds
2 teaspoons of cocoa powder (extra for dusting)

Ingredients for the chocolate ganache filling:
1/4 cup of pouring cream
150g dark eating chocolate, chopped finely (I grate mine just to be sure)



To make the Macaroons
1- Grease an oven tray; line with baking paper. I use a cookie tray and I have not actually greased it beforehand. The baking paper is enough.
2- Beat the egg whites in a small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add caster sugar, beat until  sugar dissolves; transfer mixture to a large bowl (mine was already big so I kept that one). Fold in the sifted icing sugar and cocoa, and ground almonds in two batches.
3- Spoon the mixture into a pipping bag fitted with 2cm plain tube. (At this stage, I use a little amount of the mixture to the baking paper to the tray, on that same day I made some meringue and I have taken a picture of it so check the "Meringues" post). Pipe 4 cm rounds about 2 cm apart onto the trays. Tap the trays on the bench so the macaroons spread slightly. Dust with extra sifted cocoa (It was getting late and I forgot that step); stand for 30 minutes (for them to crust).
4- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 150 Degree C.
5- Bake the macaroons about 20 minutes. Cool on trays.



To make the ganache:
Bring the cream to the boil in a small saucepan, remove from heat; add the chocolate, stir until smooth. Refrigerate about 20 minutes or until spreadable.

Sandwich macaroons with the chocolate filling.



I ran out of ganache so I made about 3 of them with Nutella instead. No complaints from what I have been told.

No comments:

Post a Comment