Monday, 10 October 2011

Baby shower cake



This is a cake I made for a baby shower recently. I obviously still need a lot of training with fondant. My covering is still awful but I feel I'm getting there. I need to remember to add a border to my top tiers as well.




The bottom tier is banana cake with Ducle De Leche and Cream Cheese icing and the top tier is Red Devil Chocolate cake with Orange Icing.
The feedback I received was that some people found the bottom tier too sweet. I have to admit this was one of my concerns from the start. Dulce De Leche is very sweet so I made 2 batches of the banana cake one with and one without sugar. I guess I didn't take into consideration that it was brown sugar and that the original recipe has loads in it. So if you want to make this, I would recommend that either you half the sugar in the cake recipe or put more butter in the icing.

I have not had any feedback on the top tier yet as the Mum- to- be kept it.

I made the shoes and the rest of the decorations with fondant. I then "painted" them and the top of the cake with a mix of blue and silver glitters.

So here are the recipes I have used:

Banana Cake (taken from 500 cakes by Susannah Blake):
Ingredients:
2 ripe bananas
2 eggs
175ml vegetabe oil
3 tbsp milk
300g light brown sugar
150g self- raising flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger

Preheat the over to 180 Degree C. Grease a 20cm round cake tin, then line the bottom with greaseproof paper.

Roughly mash the bananas in a large bowl, then beat in the eggs. Stir in the oil and milk. Break up any lumps in the brown sugar, then stir it inot the banana mixture until we combined. Sift the flour and spices over the mixture, then fold in.

Tip the mixture into the prepared tin. Bake for 1 hour until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.


For the Icing:
200g of cream cheese 
85g icing sugar, sifted
2 tbsp of butter
4 tbsp of Dulce De Leche

Beat together the cream cheese, icing sugar and butter until smooth and cream, fold the Dulce De Leche and spread over the cake.

Here is a close up of the shoes.








Happy baking everyone:)






No comments:

Post a Comment