Monday, 16 January 2012

Today the lil monkey had Empanadas for lunch

So today my lil' Monkey and I were so focused on buying him some sun glasses that we didn't think about lunch. Luckily he went down just long enough for me to make something yummy: empanadas.
I thought those are great because really you can stuff any leftover in them. For my little one I filled them with ham, onions, green capsicum, cheese and a grated kumara. I cooked the filling first so it had time to cool.

Then I made the pastry that I have found on this website: http://blog.superhealthykids.com/2011/02/starting-e-week-with-empanadas/. 
This site has awesome recipes for kids.

Ingredients:
- 3 Tbsp of butter (I used reduced fat margarine)
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1 Tbsp of white vinegar
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tsp of salt

Place all the ingredients in a pan and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in:
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of white flour.

Put the dough in the fridge until it has cooled. Once the dough is cool, roll out and cut into circles or squares out of the dough. Fill with desired filling. Bake at 180 Degree C for 20 minutes or until the bread dough is browning and cooked through.


I made mine into kind of ravioli shape and the lil monkey loved them... Considering that lately he would only eat eggs or Terriyaki chicken with rice, I feel we have achieved something here.

No comments:

Post a Comment