Monday, 19 December 2011

Sweet fortune cookies

I had quite a few egg whites left from making some pie pastry and I didn't want to make only macaroons with them. I though: "I need to find something else to do with some of those that I have never made before"... and that's when I found a recipe for Fortune Cookies. How interesting I thought, let's give that a try. I wanted to decorate them but I didn't really have time (I squeeze those between 2 appointments) but I am pretty happy with how it turned out. They are very easy to make but you have to work fast and have very heat resistant fingers.
So here is where you can find the original recipe: http://cookiesforweddings.blogspot.com/2010/10/do-it-yourself-fortune-cookies-recipe.html or see below:

- 1 egg white
-1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup of unbleached all- purpose flour
- 1/4 white sugar

Preheat the oven to 400 F (about 200 Degree C). Butter a cookie sheet. Write fortune on strips of paper about 4 inches long and 1/2 inch wide. I tried with both a cookie sheet and parchment paper. I have found that the parchment paper worked better. I just oil sprayed them and spread my cookies.

Mix the egg white and vanilla until foamy but not stiff. Sift the flour, salt, and sugar and blend into the egg white mixture.

Place teaspoonfuls of the batter at least 4 inches apart on the prepared sheets. Tilt the sheet to move the batter into round shapes about 3 inches in diameter. At first I tried to spread it with the back of the spoon but because of all the oil on the parchment paper I ended just taking the dough for a ride around the paper. I then used a spatula and really spread that dough thin. My first one was way too thick ( but with the spatula it is much easier to thin it out. the tricky thing is to make it round but after a few tries you'll get the hang of it. 
Now that's the important bit: Do not make too many, because the cookie have to be really hot to form them and once they cool it is too late. Start with 2 or 3  to a sheet and see how many you can do. 

Bake for 5 minutes or until the cookie has turned a golden color 1/2 inch wide the outer edge of the circle. The center will remain pale. While the sheet is baking, prepare another one.

Remove from the oven quickly and quickly move the cookie with a wide spatula and place upside down on a wooden board. Quickly place the fortune on the cookie, close to the middle and fold the cookie in half. Place the folded edge across the rim of a measuring cup and pull the pointed edges down, one on the inside of the cup and one on the outside. Place the folded cookies into the cup of a muffin tin or egg carton to hold their shape until firm.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment