Monday, 9 April 2012

Gluten Free Brioche

I think Brioche has always been one of my favourite French pastries. With its sinful buttery taste and its crusty outside and moist inside, how can you resist?
I hadn't made one in ages and now that I am on a gluten free/ dairy free diet I thought I had to give it up altogether. BUT was I wrong?
I have recently found yet another French blog where there is an array of Gluten Free/ Dairy Free recipes. It didn't take me long to find what I was looking for: Brioche au miel.
As soon as it came out of the oven we had to tuck in. It was just like one containing gluten except lighter and despite the fact that there is no butter in this recipe, the brioche tastes just as buttery as I remember the ones I used to buy back home. So without further ado, here is the recipe and the link: http://www.lafaimdesdelices.fr/pain-viennoiserie/recette-de-brioche-sans-gluten-au-miel/

Ingredients:

75g rice flour
75g tapioca flour
350g of cornstarch
4cc of dried yeast
2cc of salt
4cc of xanthan gum (or guar gum)
225g of soy milk
190g of liquid honey 
115g of grape seed oil (I used simple canola oil and it worked fine although the grapeseed oil would bring a nice dimension to the brioche)
4 eggs + 1 egg for the glaze (I actually brushed milk on top and sprinkled some palm sugar)
2tsp vanilla extract
caster sugar


Mix in a large bowl, salt, flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder and xanthan gum (or guar gum)
In another bowl, combine milk, 4 eggs, honey, oil and vanilla extract
Stir in flour and mix previous with the hook of your robot hand for 5 minutes to incorporate all the flour.
Leave the dough covered with a damp cloth for 1:30
Grease a mold and incorporate all the dough
Smooth the top of the dough with your fingers moistened
Let stand again 40 minutes. Here I would recommend to split the brioche on the top with serrated knife as you would do with some breads like baguette. Mince was a bit crooked.
Beat remaining egg and use it to brown the top of the bun
Sprinkle lightly with sugar on top of the bun
Bake at 180 ° C (gas mark 6) for 35 minutes. Check for doneness with the tip of a knife.



I also think that brioche is the best choice to make eggy bread/ French toast (pain perdu). I made some today (for lunch, I know!!!) but while I was getting it ready I couldn't resist having a piece of toasted brioche with butter. Yum, yum, all around.



No comments:

Post a Comment