Monday, 12 September 2011

Delicious and very quick and easy chocolate pots...

After I made the 3 curds cake I had 3 eggs yolks left and I didn't want to waste them. I know that you can freeze them but as usual I would have forgotten all about them and in the end they would have ended up down the drain...
So I tried to think of what I could do with them... and Eureka. I thought creme patissiere (pastry cream)... but I really didn't want to make pastry so I just poured it in ramekins and tried to forget about it for at least an hour (until it was "appropriate" to have dessert). I made up the recipe and if you want a chocolate hit that's the one for you:




Ingredients:
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of cornflour
- 2 teaspoons of cacao powder
- 2 cups of milk
- a handful of chocolate chips (dark for me)

In a bowl mix together the egg yolks, sugar, cornflour and cacao powder. Set aside.
Bring the milk to the boil with the chocolate chips. Keep stirring otherwise the chocolate is going to burn. Once the milk is boiling, turn the heat off and pour the milk onto the mixture of egg yolks, sugar, cornflour and cacao powder stirring like mad to avoid egg bits in the cream.
Pour into the molds of your choice (big ramekins for me). leave to cool and ready to put in the fridge. The creme patissiere will be set but the time in the fridge will bring up the chocolate flavor even more.



My husband had his as is. I mixed mine with frozen mixed berries. YUM!!!

Variations:
If you need to make a quick chocolate tart you can buy some already made pastry from the shops (I would recommend shortcrust, cook the pastry to the instructions on the packet and them pour the creme patissiere.
This can also be nice sandwiched between a sponge.
You can also add some cinnamon to make a spicy choc cream, or if like me you like the combination of of chilly and chocolate you could add some cayenne pepper...
Really the possibilities are endless. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did. Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment