Thursday, 22 September 2011

Apple crumble pie

Never go shopping when your head is not into it or you might... end up buying 10kgs of apples and have no idea what to do with them. So I had to improvise. I wanted to make some nice apple juice but my son was sick and the noise that the juicer made really upset him. Plan B: apple pie. I didn't want to make any type of apple pie. I felt like a crumble apple pie. Here is the recipe:



For the sweet shortcrust pastry: ( I have found this recipe on a French website: http://cuisine.journaldesfemmes.com and they substituted the white sugar for icing sugar which makes the pastry very easy to handle)
- 250g of flour (I used plain flour)
- 125g butter
- 50g icing sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 30g of cold water (I used a tablespoon)
- 1 pinch of salt

1- Mix the flour and butter together between your fingers until it resembles breadcrumbs. When the flour has "absorbed" all the butter, add the icing sugar.




Add the egg yolk and the cold water and finally the pinch of salt.
Mix the ingredients and as soon as it resembles a dough stop mixing otherwise it will become too elactic.
Wrap the dough in cling film and leave in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.

Note: to make it easier to handle before the fridge part, I mixed the dough in a large bowl and then dumped the content on the cling film. I then used the sides of the cling film to bring all the ingredients together and then wrapped it in the cling film to put in the fridge. This saves on cleaning as well.


After 30 minutes (overnight for me), roll the dough out to the size of your pan, line the pan with the pastry and fill it with what you have chosen. If you have already cooked your filing, you will need to blind bake the dough.

Preheat your oven to 180 Degree C.

I then sliced my apples (I used 3, I forgot to take the picture before I used them so this is what I had left) and sprinkled them with brown sugar and cinnamon. I let them absorb the sugar and cinnamon for about 15 minutes and I then placed them on the dough.


for the crumble:
I used 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/4 of flour and 2 tablespoons of butter. Mix it all together and sprinkle on top of the pie.

Cook in a 180 degree C oven for about 25 minutes. You will smell the beautiful smell of apple and cinnamon in the whole house and that should mean it is ready.


I made 2 pies. The first one (above I thought was too short on the sides). I really need to invest into a ring....
Here is the second one:



I also made a creme anglaise to go with the pies and a min pie with the creme anglaise in.


For this one I would advise to blind bake the pastry, cook the apples and then assemble everything and bake. since I didn't do that the apples had a lot of juice that came out when I cut it (or maybe I just needed to let it cool before I cut it).

Hope you enjoyed this recipe. Happy Baking everyone :)







No comments:

Post a Comment