Sunday, 12 June 2011

Heatlhy cake for my 1 year old son



My son's First Birthday is coming up and I wanted to make a cake just for him. I wanted it to be healthy with no added sugar and no fat either. So I made up my own recipe using whatever I had at home.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup of ground almonds
1/2 cup of oats
1/3 cup of hazelnuts
2 apples, cored and sliced
1/2 cup of water
1 Tbsp of honey
3/4 cup of milk
1/2 cup of yoghurt
2 eggs
1/2 cup of flour
1 tsp of All Spice

Preheat the oven to 170 Degree C.

Blend the almonds, oats,flour, hazelnuts and All Spice together until it looks like fine crumbs. (My food processor is not the best so I had little bits of nuts in there which in the end added a bit of texture). Set aside.
Put the water, the apples and the honey in a saucepan and cook the apples until you can cut them with a spoon. Blend them and let them cool.
In a jug, mix the wet ingredients (yoghurt, milk and eggs).
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and mix.

Bake for about 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.

I made some as cupcakes and 2 is small ramekins.




Notes:
I kept and reduced the juice from apples and once the cakes were cooked I out holes in them with a toothpick and soaked them with the juice. It really helped moistened them.
Both my husband and I tasted them and we found that they were more breads than cakes. My son didn't mind them though.
I mixed some icing sugar with water and drizzled over the cakes just for us. It was quite nice and added a different taste to the bread- cake.
I think that a cream cheese icing with lemon juice could add more to those though.
Any fruit can be used in place of the apples. When I was preparing the ingredients I though either apples or a tin of apricots.
This would be quite a nice tea cake.
Next time I will make it into a load tin with raisins.

While I was typing I thought of another one... Hmmm, let's see what might come out of that idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment